Did you know that Jordan is home to the world-renowned Petra, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, famously known as the “Rose City” due to its pink sandstone rock-cut architecture?
Jordan, a land steeped in history, blessed with awe-inspiring landscapes, and rich in cultural treasures, beckons travelers to explore its diverse tapestry. In the Middle East, Jordan lies nestled in the crossroads of Asia, Africa, and Europe, offering a unique blend of experiences that captivate the soul and leave an indelible mark on every traveler’s heart.
With its rich heritage, stunning landscapes, and a blend of tradition and modernity, this Levantine country has become a sought-after destination for discerning travelers.
In this article, we will review the wonders of Jordan and the exceptional services offered by Jordan Select, your trusted partner in crafting tailor-made experiences that ensure you make the most of your journey through this extraordinary land.
The Historic Gems of Jordan
Jordan Select is keen to share with you the many beautiful historical sites that the country possesses.
Petra: The Rose City
Nestled deep within the Jordanian desert, Petra is an archaeological marvel that has fascinated travelers for centuries.
Petra is perhaps most famous for the iconic Treasury, featured in numerous films, including Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. As you approach this architectural masterpiece, you’ll be struck by the intricate details and the sheer size of the monument.
The Monastery, another grand structure, stands atop a hill, providing a breathtaking panoramic view of the surrounding area. To access this magnificent viewpoint, you can embark on a challenging yet rewarding hike.
Beyond these celebrated attractions, Petra boasts an array of tombs, temples, and intricate carvings waiting to be explored. Each nook and cranny of this ancient city holds a piece of history and a story to tell.
To reach Petra, you can start your journey in Amman (Jordan’s capital) and travel southward. The best times to visit Petra are during the mild spring and autumn seasons when the weather is pleasant for exploration.
Jerash: The Roman Ruins
Jerash is an ancient Roman city and a testament to Jordan’s rich history. Located approximately 50 kilometers north of Amman, Jerash is easily accessible from the capital city, making it a convenient addition to your Jordanian journey.
Some of its main attractions include:
- The Grand Oval Plaza where chariot races and other public gatherings once took place
- The Temple of Artemis
- The South Theater, which once accommodated over 3,000 spectators
As you explore the ruins, you can imagine the bustling life that once filled these streets and the cultural exchange that took place in this ancient hub.
For further historical insights and in-depth exploration of Jerash and its significance, you can refer to the official website of the Department of Antiquities of Jordan.
The Natural Wonders
Are you looking for some natural, Earth-made beauties to explore? Here are two worth visiting.
The Dead Sea
The Dead Sea is a unique natural wonder.
What sets this remarkable body of water apart is its incredibly high salt concentration and mineral-rich waters. These properties have earned it the reputation of being the lowest point on Earth, and bathing in its rejuvenating waters is a must for any traveler to Jordan.
The water’s high salinity makes it nearly impossible to sink, creating a surreal sensation of weightlessness. It’s also believed that its mineral-rich mud is famous for its skin-nourishing properties. Visitors often indulge in a therapeutic mud bath, which leaves the skin feeling refreshed and revitalized.
There are a range of resorts that offer comfortable stays and spa services. Some options worth checking out include:
For a taste of otherworldly landscapes and exhilarating adventures, Wadi Rum, also known as the “Valley of the Moon” is a destination that should not be missed.
Located in southern Jordan, Wadi Rum boasts an otherworldly desert environment characterized by towering sandstone mountains, deep canyons, and dramatic sand dunes.
You can choose to traverse the vast desert by jeep, experiencing the towering rock formations and narrow canyons up close. For a more traditional and serene journey, camel rides offer a unique perspective of the desert’s grandeur.
But perhaps the most breathtaking way to experience Wadi Rum is by taking to the skies in a hot air balloon. As you soar above the desert, you’ll be treated to panoramic views of the Mars-like landscape, providing a profound sense of the vastness and solitude of this enchanting place.
To truly connect with the wilderness of Wadi Rum, camping under the starry desert skies is an experience like no other. Bedouin-style desert camps offer cozy and traditional accommodations, allowing you to immerse yourself in the tranquil atmosphere of the desert.
When visiting Jordan, you must indulge in some of its signature dishes.
Here’s a checklist of popular dishes to try:
- Mansaf: Considered the national dish of Jordan, mansaf is a sumptuous combination of tender lamb, creamy yogurt sauce, and fragrant rice, traditionally served on a large communal platter.
- Falafel: A popular Middle Eastern snack, falafel is a deep-fried delight made from ground chickpeas or fava beans, typically served in a pita with fresh vegetables and tahini sauce.
- Knafeh: This is a must-try dessert for those with a sweet tooth, featuring layers of crispy pastry, sweetened cheese, and a fragrant orange blossom or rosewater syrup.
If you’re looking for places to dine, Amman offers a treasure trove of culinary delights. Here are some tips:
- For an authentic Jordanian dining experience, head to Hashem Restaurant in the heart of downtown Amman, known for its mouthwatering falafel and hummus.
- Reem Al Bawadi offers a more upscale setting where you can savor traditional dishes in a stylish ambiance.
- Sufra Restaurant, situated in the heart of Amman, is another excellent choice, offering a diverse menu of Jordanian and Levantine specialties in a charming atmosphere.
Local Culture and Traditions
Jordan is known for its unique embroidery, which adorns the clothing of both men and women. Traditional dresses, called the “thob” for women, are often beautifully embellished with colorful stitch patterns, showcasing the craftsmanship and attention to detail of Jordanian artisans. Men’s clothing is more plain, called the “dishdasha.”
You can also get wonderful souvenirs in the form of handwoven rugs, intricate ceramics, and delicate mosaics.
In the heat of the desert, you’ll find Bedouin tents. The Bedouin are known for their storytelling, and these encounters often lead to fascinating conversations about their culture, history, and way of life. Spending a night in a Bedouin camp under a star-studded desert sky is an experience that offers a deep connection to the traditions of this nomadic community.
Jordan also hosts a variety of cultural festivals throughout the year. These include:
- The Jerash Festival — a celebration of Jordanian arts and Arab culture
- Petra by Night — illuminated city by candles
- Religious Muslim celebrations like Ramadan and Eid
Activities and Adventures
Consider partaking in the following fun activities while visiting Jordan.
Snorkeling and Diving in the Red Sea at Aqaba
The vibrant coral reefs and diverse marine life make Aqaba a top destination for underwater exploration.
As you immerse yourself in the world beneath the waves, you’ll encounter colorful coral formations and an array of fish species.
Don’t miss your chance to also see the Cedar Pride Shipwreck if you can.
Hiking in the Dana Biosphere Reserve
The Dana Biosphere Reserve is a haven for outdoor enthusiasts and nature lovers. It encompasses a wide range of landscapes, from rugged mountains to desert plains, making it a prime destination for hiking.
Hiking in Dana is a journey through Jordan’s wilderness and an opportunity to connect with the natural beauty of this remarkable country.
Bird Watching in the Azraq Wetlands
The Azraq Wetlands, a unique desert oasis, is a sanctuary for bird watchers.
With its natural springs and pools, Azraq provides essential water sources for the avian population, attracting various birds such as herons, flamingos, and warblers.
Exploring the wetlands offers a serene and enriching experience, allowing you to observe the beauty and diversity of Jordan’s birdlife in a tranquil setting.
Tips for Travelers
Are you planning your visit to Jordan? Here are the things to keep in mind:
- The ideal time for most travelers to visit is during the spring (March to May) and autumn (September to November), thanks to milder weather.
- Plan your ride from Queen Alia International Airport to your hotel in advance.
- Respecting local customs and etiquette is vital when traveling in Jordan. Unlike Western culture, women and men are expected to dress modestly, especially when visiting religious sites.
- Greetings are important in Jordan, and it’s customary to use polite Arabic phrases like “As-Salamu Alaykum” when meeting people. English can be used to communicate in popular tourist places.
- The currency in Jordan is the Jordanian Dinar (JOD). Credit cards are widely accepted, and there are plenty of local exchange shops. We advise against exchanging money prior to arrival, as the Jordanian Dinar is pegged to the United States dollar, and you can get better exchange rates locally.
- Make sure to check Jordan’s travel advisory for up-to-date information on entry requirements, local laws and local media updates, border crossings, the availability of the Jordan pass, and more. Jordan Select offers all of these things as part of our services.
Your Jordan Adventure Awaits with Jordan Select
Jordan’s enduring appeal lies in its unparalleled blend of history, culture, and natural beauty—a country that captures the imagination of travelers like no other.
Unleash the full potential of your Jordanian journey. Connect with Jordan Select, the award-winning destination management company that knows Jordan best. Dive into originality, experience dynamism, and let us tailor your trip with unmatched responsiveness.
Explore with the best; choose Jordan Select.
With the expertise of Jordan Select, your voyage to this captivating land is bound to be seamless and unforgettable.